[TowerTalk] Are_higher_HF_antenna's_really_better?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Are_higher_HF_antenna's_really_better?
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:05:49 -0600
On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 "WA9ALS - John" <wa9als@starband.net> writes:

> Similarly, I have the C31XR tribander at 72 ft and Kevlar guys.
> I've been tempted to add a C-3 at 35 ft or so, but so far don't think
it
> would be worth it for my operating habits (soft-core contesting).

Do you bust through all the pileups to EU / AFR on 10 / 15M?
If so, then maybe you don't need something lower.
You'll never know if you don't compare.
Try a dipole for starters.

I can follow my 1KW local across the band running QRP
and just about keep up with him but whenever we go head
to head, he wins.  As long as the competition isn't too
great I guess it doesn't matter.  If you are a SERIOUS
competitor, you need to cover as many bases as possible.

The directional diversity is another benefit of a second antenna.
I have 4 fixed tribanders for multiplier hunting in contests.  My
monobanders are rotated between Europe and Japan.  I only
have to touch a rotor 4 times a day.  How much time do you
lose waiting for your rotor?

> Overall, seems like a pretty good risk/benefit solution.  I've
> rently added an HF9V vertical, and I know that will add more to my
> capabilities than another (lower) yagi.

You KNOW that an HF9V will do more for you than a low yagi?
HOW do you KNOW if you haven't tried it?
Old myths just never die.

BTW, verticals SUCK on the high bands unless
you mount them at the edge of the ocean.

See my next post where I will anonymously quote
the guys with 200 ft high stacks who found that LOW
antennas were often best to EU / AF.   N4KG

> Good thread, interesting points all
> around!
> 73   (WA9ALS)

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!