[TowerTalk] Alternate 80m antenna thoughts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alternate 80m antenna thoughts
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:29:56 -0500
Bill, I have your setup on a somewhat smaller scale -- Rohn 25 with C-3Es
at 97 and 69 feet, an EF-240S at 104 feet.

For 80 meters I use the 4-element wire parasitic array from K3LR's 8/94 QST
article.  It is dynamite.  Works very well on receive as well as
transmitting, and though cut for CW it also works well on SSB.  Seems to
coexist very well with the stack.

For 160, I shunt fed the tower at 50 feet up (well below the bottom antenna
in the stack).  Got VERY low impedance and a lot of reactance there,
probably due to all the top loading, so I went to an Omega match.  Now 1:1
at 1830.  Early results are quite encouraging -- good signal reports from
Europe with 100 watts and decent competitive results in pileups.  Currently
12 125-foot on-ground radials, with many more to come.

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower

Order online at http://store.eham.net.