[TowerTalk] Summary: Short Tower and Close Foundation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Summary: Short Tower and Close Foundation
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:10:21 -0500
At 11:50 AM 1/29/02 -0800, W7NI wrote:

 All he could tell me is that, obviously, computer modeling is
>inadequate to show the true performance of the HexBeam since it performs
>much better than predicted by computer modeling.  I walked away from that
>discussion with very little confidence in the HexBeam or its inventer . . .

Coincidentally, there is a discussion in the current issue of NCJ by L.B.,
W4RNL, of modeling various innovative and classic 2-element antenna designs.
He comments that alternative geometries such as the Moxon rectangle (and by
extension, the hexbeam) can achieve somewhat better F/B ratios than
traditional 2-element yagis, but at a cost of reduced forward gain and
somewhat wider beamwidth.  The idea that they can't be modeled is nonsense,
advanced because the real numbers don't sound "good enough."

73, Pete N4ZR

Sometimes a tower is
just a tower

Order online at http://store.eham.net.