[TowerTalk] believing antenna manufacturers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] believing antenna manufacturers
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:37:18 -0600
N4KG comments inserted below.

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002  "Rajiv Dewan, N2RD" <n2rd@arrl.net> writes:

> There are two ways a structure can withstand wind forces:
>
> 1. Be very robust (most of the older antennas, if they could survive)
> 2. Be compliant (like F12 antennas)

        My Telrex 3L20 with 1.5 inch dia elements at center
        is an example of #1.  It weighs 75 lbs.  I have one
        assembled on a 10 ft waterpipe mast in the yard.
        A *large* tree limb fell on the 3 inch OD boom,
        bending the waterpipe mast.  The Telrex antenna
        was NOT damaged.

        My old style modified Wilson 5L10's are an example of #2.
        They use a 6 ft center piece 5/8 inch OD and 1/2 inch 5 ft tips.
        Two END tips bent in high straight line winds.  I 'assume'
        they caught some 'flying debris' since the elements should
        have been able to survive close to 100? mph winds (and
        the intermediate element tips did survive undamaged).

        Tom  N4KG

> At least for tall skyscrapers, 2 is a better strategy.
> I think that it is the same for ham antennas too.  The latter
> strategy leads
> to lower weight, turning moments, etc.  A winning combination and
> better
> design in my opinion.
>
> Regards,
> Rajiv, N2RD