[TowerTalk] Force 12 antenna survivability at VE1JF

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 antenna survivability at VE1JF
From: 74237.2073@compuserve.com (James W. Fisher, Jr.)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:19:08 -0500
Facts:

K7LXC has called the VE1JF QTH "an antenna destruction laboratory".

At VE1JF we deploy over 50 elements of Force 12 yagis and verticals.  The
80M verts (180BV-Ds four years old) stand right at the edge of a cliff
overlooking salt water and occasional hurricane winds to the horizon at
around 65 meters above the water.  Picture on p. 9-13 of ON4UN's 2d ed of
Low-Band DXing.

The yagis are stacked at 100 meters (C51XRN)/89 meters (C31XR-H)/78 meters
(C51XRN) above the water, with nothing between them and land beyond the
horizon.  Pix on www.force12inc.com under customer stacks. The top one has
survived a major ice storm (same time as Quebec) and winds clocked at
105mph on my nextdoor neighbor's roof far below the antenna's level.  The
other two are up for the first winter and have done fine so far.

Yes, from time to time I have done weather-related maintenance and
upgrades.  I keep F12 advised in detail as to anything that seems to be the
weak link, and they have made several upgrades to the products.

My F12s bend with the wind and ice, but they hang in there.

My next antenna purchase will almost certainly be F12, for performance AND
survivability.

73,

Jim, VE1JF

Order online at http://store.eham.net.