[TowerTalk] Modeling

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Modeling
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 23:24:42 -0600
There is a reason that 12M Yagi's interact with
tribanders and 10 and / or 15 meter beams...

12M self resonant elements are only 14% longer
than 10M self resonant elements and 12M Directors
are ~9% longer than a 10M DE so they make fairly good
REFLECTORS to the 10M Driven Element

12M self resonant elements are only 18% shorter
than 15M self resonant elements and 12M reflectors
are ~13% shorter than a 15M DE so they can act as
short DIRECTORS to a 15M Driven Element.

When they are placed only 6 ft from a tribander,
the are CLOSELY  COUPLED  to the tribander,
being only 0.125WL away on 15M and 0.166 WL
away on 10M, i.e. your typical Yagi element spacing.

Tom  N4KG

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@mags.net> writes:

> Hi Dave,
>
> This is an instance where an understanding of "real-life" situations
> is
> important, as well as realistic expectations.
>
> I would expect two antennas 6' apart to have interaction even if the
> model
> says otherwise.
> Having made that very generalized (and sometimes inaccurate)
> statement,
> tribanders are even more complicated than monobanders and therefore
> can be
> expected to have far more complex interaction issues.
>
> I suggest to anyone to ask about issues like that on this reflector
> BEFORE
> actually putting up the antennas.  Of course many people are not
> aware of
> this reflector and/or don't subscribe to it, but that's a different
> story.
>
> No one should entirely rely on a model for the same reasons that no
> one
> should entirely rely on their experience either.
>
> 73
>
> Bob KQ2M
>

> > Please don't rely entirely on modeling when designing and
> installing an
> > antenna.  Remember its just a tool to see if an antenna works in
> theory.
> > Unless you can build real world interactions into the model or
> schema then
> > its not an end all.   I got an excellent model for a W2PV
> > 3 el 12 meter beam but putting it up 6 feet below my KT34XA really
> went
> > askew.   The 12 meter beam went to 25.9Mhz and both the 10 and 15
> meter
> > portions of the VA went haywire.
> >
> > 73 Dave K4JRB

> > Where do you get ICE bandpass filters & beverage matching boxes?
> The
> > same place that pays for the hosting of this list:  The eHam
> Store.
> > Order online at http://store.eham.net.

> > -----
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk

> Where do you get ICE bandpass filters & beverage matching boxes?
> The
> same place that pays for the hosting of this list:  The eHam Store.
> Order online at http://store.eham.net.
>
> -----

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.