[TowerTalk] Tower Climbing Safety

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Climbing Safety
From: eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com (Eugene Jensen)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:02:31 -0600
The below is extremely well written, and I really cannot add to what he
has written about the mechanical aspects; however, from a practical
perception -- and after almost 20 years in industrial plants, I have an
observation:  regardless of manufacturer, I personally take old and new
employees out on a regular basis and we play "Peter Pan" -- with the
plant crane.  My observation is that one should never put on a climbing
harness without checking it out on a crane first or a lifting fixture
first.  What I have seen is (and it is always amusing), is that you are
being choked, being turned sideways, and all other possible positions
come up until these things are properly adjusted and set up; and they
have to be set up specifically to the individual involved who is using
it. It is extremely important due to the different manufacturers of
these devices. I just believe that you cannot strap one of these things
on, and then have your life depend on it; because when you are in any
distance above the ground, you are going to be in deep trouble if they
are not functioning correctly. The biggest problem I see is that they
are usually fitting too loosely, or are installed incorrectly, which
allows the body to slide into all sorts of weird positions which results
could be fatal.  The unpleasant part of this is that you don't want to
drown in one's own body fluids!  So always have someone with you to make
that call, to bring help quickly.  Be safe and live long!  Gene K2QWD