[TowerTalk] Universial Freestanding Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Universial Freestanding Tower
From: n8de@thepoint.net (Don Havlicek)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:42:11 -0500
Comments inserted:

kr7x@attbi.com wrote:

> Talkians:

<snip>

> Neither material has a greater propensity for fatigue
> than the other.. properly designed.

Believe I said something to that effect.

> Other comments:

<snip>

> Most catastrophic tower failures occur due to
> compression buckling of either a tower leg or brace.

Believe I said EXACTLY that.

> There is no progressive derating of any structure.
>
> There is, in my experience, no such animal as:
> Coefficient of Flexation. Maybe the Modulus of
> Elasticity is what the person meant.

My engineering education was begun 47 years ago [and ended 44 years go!]
.. that's the term I was mentally searching for!
<snip>

> Any metal that is loaded below its threshold fatigue
> stress level and unloaded can,theoretically  be loaded
> and unloaded forever...
>
> Rule of thumb is to use one half the yield stress of the
> material, this keeps the stress well within the elastic
> range for the material.
>
> The question of using a steel or aluminum tower of
> comparable load carr[y]ing capacity is not one of which
> will fatigue before the other but one of enviromental
> corrosion resistance, weight, transportatability,
> absolute strength, size of structure required and cost.
> All of these vary for each material, intended usage and
> total load carrying requirements.

And, for my situation, the aluminum tower was less expensive for the
same 'bang for the buck'.

> I have at various time designed aluminum, steel, fiber
> reinforced composite, and timber structures to support
> elevated loads of, freestanding and guyed, antennas and
> other equipment. The decisions were never based on the
> fatigue preformance of the materials but rather on cost,
> availability, transportation, and future expandability
> of the proposed structure.
Again .. for my situation, those factors considered .. I chose aluminum.

> As we contribute to this reflector, we as individuals
> need to consider what we are saying and what factual
> basis we are using to support our statements.

I totally agree!  If I made statements of opinion, not fact, then I was
wrong.. but I repeat .. in my situation .. aluminum gave more for less.

Don Havlicek, B.S./M.A./A.B.D. [Math], (A.B.D. = "All But Dissertation")
N8DE