[Towertalk] Antennas over Salt Water.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antennas over Salt Water.
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:57:05 -0600

> Hi guys.
>
> All the navy and coast guard ships I have ever seen, and been on
> many, all
> have vertical antennas for HF.  They usually have two, on opposite sides,
> one on starboard and one on port.
>
> I have never seen a beam on one for HF.  Doesn't this say something?
>
> Ted K6HI
> Kona, HI

Speaking as an ex-Navy radioman, I can tell you that had there been beams
onboard my ship, I would have become a cook.

Maintaining verticals?  Not much of a problem--we had 8 or 10 of them spaced
around the flight deck perimeter (600' long helo carrier--LPH-3).  There's
nothing like being lowered over the side in a bosun's chair by your
co-workers, 50' above the water, to clean vertical base insulators.

I can recall seeing the U.S.S. Annapolis (AGMR-1) once.  It had beams.  It
also was only commissioned for about 4 years.

I found a webpage with a picture of her:
http://www.easley.net/lamberth/anna/anna-1.htm

73,
dale, kg5u