[Towertalk] tower failure---and a personal injury experience

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] tower failure---and a personal injury experience
From: jljarvis@abs.adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 08:26:22 -0500
Oh, come now.....and what was the cause of THIS failure?

<snip>
"Meanwhile, several thousand listeners tuned in to WDCB 90.0 GM at
Glenellyn, Illinois, were left with nothing but static for a after wind
blew down a 310-foot antenna tower. A 50 ' back-up antenna was activated
three days later, and the station admits it needs to move forward plans to
install a $100,000 replacement antenna originally scheduled for
spring."
<snip>

Was it guyed or self supporting?  The WIND blew it down?  More likely
there had been no structural inspection/repair of the guying system.
One good lightning strike, and you may not HAVE the guys you started
out with. Or, radio stations which are economically marginal operations
often cut corners on professional tower service.

I've been climbing since 1960.  Never been hurt on a tower.  Occasionally
uncomfortable, putting 'em up, before the next guy set goes on, but
never really worried or injured..and have worked up to 210'.

Last year, I installed a foldover section in my Rohn 45, so it will
lay down over my flat roof, to permit easy antenna work.  Installing
a folding bracket for the beam, I elected to use a short stepladder,
to get TWO steps higher.  I was wearing deck shoes, and it was a bit
damp.  Coming down the last step, one shoe slipped, my foot went inside
the ladder...and the two of us did a 7 inch tango to the roof.
I hit the corner of my toolbox, and broke two ribs.

Conclusion:  Even careful people do dumb stuff now and then.
Proximate cause:  Worn topsiders, wet soles on metal ladder.
Root cause:  What pilots call "Get-there itis".   It was late, I was
                 tired.  I wanted to finish the job.
Real problem:  My wife won't ever let me forget it.

n2ea