[Towertalk] CABLE LUBRICANT SUBSTITUTES

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CABLE LUBRICANT SUBSTITUTES
From: K4BEV@aol.com (K4BEV@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:01:12 EST
<< you want to protect your cables is from rust, dirt doesnt really
substantially hurt the cables >>

I've recently retired from 12 years as the factory rep/electrical engineer
for a crane manufacturer and have seen all of the failed wire rope I ever
want to.

Dirt will cut a wire rope as surely as a hacksaw will. A bit slower though,
and usually from the inside out.
Only a kink, bad sheave bearing, or rust, will kill the rope quicker.

We recommended Lubriplate "Chain and Cable Fluid.. Penetrating Oil".
(Lubriplate part number L0135-063) (12 oz. spray can).
I use it on my crank up tower's cables, and on its running surfaces, and have
not had any cable problems. I also check the sheaves quite frequently.

Don - K4BEV