[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS
From: kk9a@arrl.net (kk9a@arrl.net)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:40:59 -0600
Crank up towers do collapse on occasion.  Last month I had dinner in Aruba
with P49MR and his tower cable broke twice in several years. I also know
first hand of others in Illinois that had their cable break when their
towers were fully extended.  Everyone knows that you are not supposed to
climb crank-up towers.  I owned a U.S. Tower 89' crank-up for a while and
the only way I could service the rotor was to crank it up partially. How
else are you supposed to get at the nested rotator? I raised it up and stuck
4X4's through the rungs and climbed the tower.  I had a lot of rotor
problems back then (HyGain HDR-300) and although the tower never failed I
was afraid of working on it like this.  Even when the tower was retracted to
the microswitch stop, it was never fully down making working on antennas
hazardous.   I replaced that crank up tower with a Rohn 65 guyed tower.

73,
John