[Towertalk] Mast lowering/raising?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Mast lowering/raising?
From: djones449@cogeco.ca (David Jones)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:11:20 -0500
Thanks Steve,
Always like reading your posts!
Could I impose on you for some more detail?
First, my setup:
    - Self-support 48ft Delhi (Rohn BX-type equivilant).
    - Bearing on top plate
    - Rotor shelf 4ft below top
    - Hole in rotor plate slightly larger than 2" mast
    - Mast is 12ft (with small 2m/440 vert at top & Force 12 C-4e about 3ft
above top plate)

My initial plan is to brace the mast just above the rotor with angle iron
running through the tower section and a 2" pipe clamp to hold the mast at a
second point (instead of the rotor itself).  I don't think the weight of the
assembly will be too much to ease the mast up slightly in the rotor clamp,
then tighten the 2" clamp to hold it, resecure the bearing on top, allowing
me to safely remove the rotor, still having the mast held in two places.

But after that, unless I'm missing the obvious, the lingering problem would
seem to be "lowering" the mast down through the hole in the rotor plate?  I
can envision the come-along concept, to that point.

So, further questions, if you don't mind:

a) Where to attach the come-along at tower end?
    - eye-hook bolted through bottom of top plate?
    - Sling around cross-brace on tower?

b) How to lower the cinched mast down through the rotor plate?
    - Unless you contemplate "removal" of rotor plate entirely?

Hope you (or others) can again shed some light?