[Towertalk] Forces on EME array

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Forces on EME array
From: jljarvis@abs.adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:17:43 -0500
Jim:

Maybe I'm missing something....but I see 4500 lbs of bending
moment on the mast, where it passes through the house, and
about 1100 lbs of resisting force where the mast sits on the
floor of the attic.

15 sq ft x 30 lbs/sq.ft.@100mph = 450 lbs
450 lbs x 10 feet (ht of mast above roof) = 4500 lbs
This is the force which will bend the mast.

4500/4ft = 1125 lbs
This is the lateral force produced at the lower end of
the mast, which has to be withstood by the floor joist
system.

I have no idea about the strength of your mast material.

I have some concerns about your roof truss system, in that
it's probably not designed to handle 2.5 tons of lateral
load.  You need to translate this load into the vertical
walls with some structure, and possibly spread it over more
than one bay.

AND, I would be similarly concerned about the design of
the attic floor joist system.  It may need reinforcement,
to spread the load over a few beams.

Somebody needs to check my figure for windload @ 100mph.  I
didn't have time to look it up.

Jim, N2EA