[Towertalk] Mobile Antenna Bonanza... -- need identification, advice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Mobile Antenna Bonanza... -- need identification, advice
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:52:27 -0500
At a recent hamfest, I managed to buy a bundle of mobile antennas for
$25. Here's what I found, and some questions I have:

Winn-Tenna. 80m, 40m, 15m. These three are similar to HamSticks that go
by various other vendor names. They appear to match three 47 3/4" whips
with a round ball on top. Can anyone verify the length of the whips in
these types of antennas? Also, what sort of whip setscrews are typically
use? (They were missing from these units) Anyone know of a URL for these
or similar antennas?

Hustler. One RM-20 resonator. It's whip is only about 20" long so so.
Seems short. Seems to me these only work correctly when they have a base
pole. What is the proper length of a base pole for the Hustler system? I
also have a resonator with no markings whose coil section is about 3"
long. It appears to have about 5 turns of wire. It also appears to be a
Hustler, with about a 4 foot whip. Is this a 10m resonantor? Anyone have
a URL that describes the Hustler system?

Webster. This is a yellow loading coil about 1" in diameter with a
thumbscrew jam nut on the whip. Appears to have a shorting bar attached
to the whip. Coil is about 16" long, and the whip an additional 6-14". I
believe this to be the famous Webster Bandspanner (not to be confused
with the CB radio of the same name). I assume this is supposed to be used
with a base pole. What is the proper length of the base pole for the
Webster Bandspanner? Is it beyond hope to find a URL or a manual on-line?

Mystery. One antenna I cannot identify. It starts with a 3/8" stud in a
housing with a hex body. This flows into a 1/8" rod held by two set
screws. This reaches to two set screws in a white coil housing about 3
feet long and about 3/4" in diameter. Again, two set screws hold a 4 foot
whip on the end. It looks like it might be a low-band mobile antenna
(40,80,160m), but I couldn't find any resonances in my tests. Any ideas?

Misc. I also have a 2 foot rod with 3/8" threads on each end. Each end
has jam nuts, and one end has a 3/8" coupler with a hexagonal body. Seems
short for a base pole for the Webster or the Hustler system. Any ideas on
the purpose of such rods?

(Also in the bundle were a Cellwave 5/8 wave 2m antenna, a couple of what
look like CB antennas, a 2m whip (20"), and another 4 foot whip. Quite a
haul for $25....)

Any advice or identification on the above antennas would be appreciated.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901