[Towertalk] It's not a spitfire...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] It's not a spitfire...
From: jljarvis@abs.adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:25:02 -0500
Seems I mis-applied the name which YCCC is using to describe a bent,
sloping dipole array.  A Spitfire, it's not.

The system I contemplate consists of four sloping dipoles.
The hoist for these is 1/2 wavelength above ground.

At the feedpoint, the dipoles are pulled outward, on a 45 degree
angle.  THEN, the lower half is pulled back toward the tower base.
Looks like an array of diamonds.  (COULD also be simple slopers,
not bent back inward.)

These are each fed through 3/8 wavelength coax, such that unfed
elements become reflectors.

4x4nj has used one of these on 160 and on 80.  Don't know what
they're called, other than sloper arrays.

SO, I repeat the question:  Any personal experience?  Comments?

Jim/N2EA