[Towertalk] Stacking Tilted LPDA's?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Stacking Tilted LPDA's?
From: k9cw@prairienet.org (Andrew B. White)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:16:51 -0600 (CST)
We ran ARRL SS in 1975 from that site using W9YH.  At the time, the
key to the building was kept up above the front door!  The performance was
OK on 40m, as I recall, and it worked somewhat better on the higher bands.
For the size of the antenna and its height, we expected it to do better.

Ah - those were the days.  K9DF wrote a logging program that ran on the
DEC System 10 mainframe at CSL.  We used a dial up connetion all weekend
to log the Q's.  It was a different time...

Now I live about 3 miles east of that site.  It's still there, but the
building is boarded up.  I think it was last used for propagation research
back in the late 60's.

73, Drew

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Bill Steffey wrote:

> Back in the 80s & 90s there was just such a large log sitting off the west
> side  of ILL 57 just north of Champaign-Urbana, IL  It Had it's own single
> story brick shack...  I always thought it was some U of Illinois antenna
> testing range.
> Maybe it was military ???

|    Andrew B. White  K9CW    |    internet: k9cw@prairienet.org    |
|    ABW Associates, Ltd.     |   phone/fax: 217-643-7327           |