[Towertalk] Force 12 Sigma verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Force 12 Sigma verticals
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:33:12 -0600
Hi, Danny;

Radials under some vertiacl antennas serve to reduce ground losses or, in the
case of elevated verticals, serve as part of the antenna (refer to Jerry
Cevik's discussion on his web site).  The far field pattern and field strength
of any antenna is affected by ground characteristics well outside the extent of
radial wires or other conductivity enhancing measures in the immediate vicinity
of the antenna.  Good conductivity in the far field reduces losses and
increases the depth of nulls in the elevation pattern.  Loss from a salt water
reflection is as little as 1 dB, whereas loss from an earth reflection is 3 dB
or more.  Refer to Leo F. McNamara's "Radio Amateurs Guide to the Ionosphere."

I wonder if NEC-2 modeling data for the Sigma 80 is available?

73 de WOØW