[Towertalk] The twisted Tale of the twisted tail twister

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] The twisted Tale of the twisted tail twister
From: kg6i@worldnet.att.net (John Farber)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 06:29:29 -0000
My fellow Tower talkers,
I made it down to the local Grainger Industrial Supply store today and
bought two replacement caps for my tailtwister rotor control box's ac motor
starting cap. Swapped it out fine, but still no go. On closer inspection, I
noticed a 3AG fuse down in the bottom section, on the lower section of the
meter pc board. I flipped the control box over and removed the cover, tested
the fuse and it was open! So replaced the original stock (?) 1/8 A fuse with
one I had on hand, a 150 mA unit, and voila! it is happy again! So I guess
the cap didn't hurt being replaced after 20 years, but it was not the real
problem, and I never had to climb the tower.
This, plus getting XR0X and VP6DI on many bands this week makes John a happy
camper! Now if 6 meters would start poppin', it would get even better!
73, John