[Towertalk] 80m dipole on small lot

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 80m dipole on small lot
From: jerryc@netscope.net (jerryc)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:22:14 -0500
Hello all
Some time ago I asked for some info on small lot dipoles
and got some great advice.  I need just a little more direction.
My tower is small (by ham standards) at 40' with a 10m 4el at 48'.
My back yard is only 80' wide and 60' (48' usable) deep.  On one
side there is a 20' offset into my neighbors lot I may be able to use.
 I tried a 80m inverted vee hanging from the tower with the ends pulled
toward two opposing corners.  The ends were only about 8 to 10' above
ground.  Thats too low but if I raise the ends, they will extend past
boundries.
While at the Charlotte hamfest I got a G5RV (3.5 to 30mhz,  102' long, 31'
of 450
ohm ladderline, coax to ladder splitter). It fits nicely as an inverted vee
on my
small yard.  I only needed a short section of rg213 to conect to my remote
coax
switch.  I have about 80 to 100' of rg213 (burried in conduit) from the
switch
to the station.
Would I be better off running 450 ohm ladder line all the way to the tuner
or is the
450 ohm  ladder line to coax a better setup with the G5RV?   I understand
that there
are many ways to do this, just looking for a good way to get started right.
I work
and travel alot and free time is limited.  I enjoy building and learning but
rarely have time.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
JerryC  KC8TES
jerryc@netscope.net