[Towertalk] More LXC Observations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] More LXC Observations
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 08:47:40 EST
Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    Here are a couple of things for the group:

1 - Had a chance to see the effects of UV on the Liquid Electrical Tape that
I have used and recommended in the past. It was at 6700' in Nevada where they
get 320 days of sunshine a year - basically your worst case scenario for UV.
The result was that the LET had completely dried out and was flaking off
after about 2 years.

    So what was left was good old black electrical tape. In ALL CASES use
either Scotch 33+ or 88; they're the premium electrical tapes and the ONLY
ONES that are LXC approved. They're available at some hardware stores
including the big box ones and electrical supply houses.

    What to use for a joint top-coat? I don't have any problem with just 33
or 88 electrical tape since it'll handle the UV pretty well. (88 is a little
thicker - 11 mil vs. 7 mil) so some guys like W0UN prefer the 88 for hostile
environments. Even if the top layer of tape dries out, there are still one or
two more layers in beautiful shape underneath it (Right!?!).

    The trick to minimize 'flagging' is to let the tape relax before you put
the end bit down. The end should have a nice clean edge from cutting or
tearing carefully. DO NOT pull the tape until it breaks - you're just asking
for trouble and then it WILL flag.

2 - US Tower is completing a new manufacturing facility in the Midwest - I
don't know the exact location or when it'll be ready. Suffice to say there
are LOTS of crank-up buyers and owners out there to keep them busy. Currently
delivery at UST is 12 weeks so this should help.

    They and Force 12 are two of the only current success stories in the ham
radio marketplace - business is down for most other ham radio companies.

    Anyone with other interesting news please feel free to post it. Inquiring
minds wanna know.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs