[Towertalk] Low-Angle Scattering

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Low-Angle Scattering
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:44:51 -0500
One of the great unverified assumptions of low-angle propagation is
that smooth, sharp decrease of gain from a horizontal antenna as the
angle goes down in the last handful of degrees.

This lack of verification is easy to assume because of the bewildering
variety of terrain, and what it would take to measure 2 or three miles
downwind. E.g. a ground-independent measuring device without trailing
wires being hauled up on a balloon to a height of 2000 feet. And a day
perfectly still so the balloon on the tether is mostly straight up.

There are times (for a few days after a real general area rain storm,
for one) when I hear stuff better than I should. Talking about signals
that probably OUGHT to be low angle. Vertical *AND* horizontal. What's
going on? Dunno, but it happens, and happens again. Got NO way to
quantify it, NO way to prove it, just know that I hear it, and it
keeps me suspicious. I know that I HAVE NOT read anything that
explains what I hear.

73, Guy.