[Towertalk] How To Hold Up A 20' Mast On The Ground?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] How To Hold Up A 20' Mast On The Ground?
From: robin.midgett@vanderbilt.edu (Robin Midgett)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 13:04:30 -0600
Greetings TT,
I'm seeking constructive advice on how to hold a 20' mast upright on the
ground while antennas are installed onto the mast. The plan is for a crane
to place the mast & antenna assembly into the tower top once the tower is
built & the antennas are on the mast. A stake through a plate driven into
the ground is easy enough to keep the bottom of the mast from moving
laterally; how should a person keep the thing upright without hindering the
antenna installation?
I have an idea of using guy wires to hold the mast upright & of using
scaffolding as a work platform to install the antennas, working from the
top of the mast downward. What say you?

Thanks,
Robin Midgett KB4IDC
VHF+ Glutton