[Towertalk] Mobile question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Mobile question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:16:58 EST
w7why@harborside.com writes:

> I'm trying to get a Kenwood 430 installed in my pickup truck for
>  this years camping season and am running into some problems.  The
>  worst is that when I turn the ignition on, I get a lot of hash in
>  the receiver.  I'm assuming it's from the electric fuel pump as
>  it does it before the truck starts.  It is a '96 Ford 150 camper
>  special.  Anyone ever have this problem and what is the fix?  I'd
>  like to get the antennas tweaked before this years Memorial Day
>  Weekend.

    The classic first question is if your power cables connect directly to
the battery?

    I know you can spend a lot of time bonding everything together but don't
know what effect it'll have on fuel pump noise.

    My suggestion would be to get one of those AmCom DSP audio filters.
They're wonderful on that kind of RFI and even take away other noise sources
such as background band noise.

    There's a demo on their website - "Filter out - filter in" that's pretty
dramatic. <A HREF="www.amcominc.com">www.amcominc.com</A>

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs

Cheers,