[Towertalk] Grounds, UFER grounds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grounds, UFER grounds
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:42:15 -0700
I suppose that one could make some sort of impedance bridge measurement to
measure the impedance between your "ground connection" and some standardized
electrode, for which the characteristics can be known by calculation.  Like,
for instance, a big sphere, or maybe a flat plate, or a single wire suspended
at a fixed height above the ground.

Ground resistance/impedance measurements are one of the ways used for
subsurface exploration, so there should be some technical literature available.
 Once one knows what the "electromagnetic structure" of the soil is, then you
could use any of a variety of modeling techniques to see how close your scheme
comes to "ideal".

This comes down to "what is ground"?  A non-trivial question that really can
only be answered, it depends....