[Towertalk] Nylon guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Nylon guys
From: wa2bpe@exotrope.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:10:18 -0400
The material by "Synthetic Textiles" is a white/cream colored Dacron with the
outer weave dyed (permanently) black (just looked at a reel of it).  I haven't
used it as guys, but have used it to secure cables to a steel messenger.  I have
seen no (visible) degradation in over 20 years exposure to sunlight and it
remains flexible.  BTW, one of the best ways to terminate/cut the material is to
fuse the outer weave (a short (1") section) with a torch or heat gun (hold it
under light tension and rotate it while heating), clip it with a wire cutters
then complete the fusing/sealing of the end.  Be careful on heating; too much
will result in smoky flames!  The nice thing abt this product is that it is very
flexible/easy to work with.  It does stretch, however, and needs to be
pre-stretched - M^2 uses this for the truss guys on some of their bigger (6m for
sure) beams.

73,  Tom - WA2BPE