[Towertalk] Rotators -- coax & Lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rotators -- coax & Lightning
From: vk2lee@maxnet.net.au (Lee Noonan)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:56:28 +1000
Hi to everyone
I have just replaced My rotator (which was taken out by Lightning) with =
a Create RC5-1 and for the first time I read that there should be room =
for the Antenna Mast to flex etc....otherwise undue stress will occur to =
the rotator.  Well I have always had two HD greaseable flange Bearings =
with 2 grub screws in each. One is bolted to a steel plate at the top of =
the tower, and the second one is about 6ft lower. The pipe is 2" OD Hi =
Tensile Steel, 18 feet long, The end of the pipe is bolted to approx 10 =
feet of 2" ID PVC water drainage pipe which then is clamped to the =
Rotator.(there is a short piece of steel pipe inside the End of the PVC =
Pipe.)  Now the PVC pipe is very flexible and strong !!!  and I don't =
think I need anything else ......for self centering the Mast..
Comments..please....
Also I am about to make a drawing of where My Coaxial cable enters the =
house.....The lightning also struck the galvanised steel just above the =
coax cable just before it enters the house.......Now I want to make it =
Lightning Proof!!!!  Is it permissible to post a drawing here or can =
interested persons let Me know & I can send the drawing to each  =
person....
I would really like to get some input from other Hams.....
regards
Lee Noonan  VK2LEE    http://www.qrz.com/vk2lee      =
http://www.qsl.net/vk2lee/

multipart/alternative