[Towertalk] Any glaring discrepancies?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Any glaring discrepancies?
From: k6ll@despammed.com (k6ll@despammed.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:39:06 -0500 (EST)
> After the fourth iteration I have made the 'final' decisions.  The Spring
> (?) antenna/tower project will consist of 70' AN Wireless tower (*massive*
> windloading spec!), TH7 at 5' above top of tower, Cushcraft A3WS w/30m
> add-on at 80', and 40m rotatable dipole at 85'.  All of this will be
> (hopefully!) turned by a HAM IV rotor using a <fill-in-the-type> 20' mast.
> (five feet of mast 'nested' in tower)  I will be making one 100' run of
> LMR-400 to an Ameritron remote coax switch at the top of the tower.  (Two
> 'spare' coax runs will be installed on the tower.)

A few thoughts:

I don't like Ham-IV's. The top and
bottom halves are held together by
self-tapping screws that are a weak
link. It's very
embarrassing to come home and find the
bottom half of the rotor sitting stationary on
the rotor plate, four screws lying in
the grass at the base of the tower,
and the antennas and top half of the rotor freewheeling in the wind!

I'd swap the Ham-IV for a Tailtwister.

I would feel better with about 1/3 of
the mast inside the tower.

I'd put the TH-7 at 70' instead of
75. The extra 5 feet wouldn't do anything for you, and you need more
separation from the WARC antenna.

I'd put that little A3 at the top of the
mast, with the 40 dipole right below or above it, at a 90 degree angle. That's
your best bet for avoiding interaction on all the bands.

Let us know how you make out with the AN
Wireless tower. Not much customer
feedback on here yet.

Dave, K6LL
K6LL@despammed.com