[Towertalk] Yaesu Rotors -- Should I??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Yaesu Rotors -- Should I??
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:34:59 -0400
At 09:03 PM 4/11/02 -0400, Glenn wrote:
>...I have
>thought of replacing them with YAESU rotors.  Any reason why I
>shouldn't.  Yes, I know about the parts thing.

Glenn, I would not hesitate.  My Yaesus have been bullet-proof.  I have a
G-1000SDX turning a C-3E and a 2-el shorty forty, and a G-800SA turning
another C-3E on a sidemount.  The only issue in 5 years was a burned out
dial light on the 1000, and Yaesu sent me a replacement free in a week.

The big beef with them for a long time was the cast rotator clamps.  People
didn't understand that you had to tighten them in a certain sequence --
first the clamps on the mast, then center the clamp/mast assembly on the
rotator top, then bolt the rotator down.  If you do it this way, no
problem...  but if they are not centered on the rotator top, they can
crack, and this can also happen if you bolt the rotator down first, and
then try to tighten the mast clamps.  Castings don't bend well.  I pin
mine, just to be sure, and don't tighten them very tight.

So... they turn 450 degrees, they look pretty, they have excellent preset
capability, and the prices are no worse than the equivalent Hy-Gain new
from MFJ. To me it's not a hard choice.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at