[Towertalk] New tower companies

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] New tower companies
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:55:57 -0400
I have been putting together a list of portable towers for use at my Georgia
Island home.
Recently there have been several new entries but I believe they are making a
fatal mistake
in selling to the ham market.

First, they are not listing specific models or the elements that could make
a specific model.   Just to say the towers reach 42 or 50 feet is not
enough.  Second, they do not list prices.   They want you to request pricing
via e-mail or 800 telephone.   I sent an e-mail to one who listed a system
using those 4 foot Fiberglas masts with support base in CQ Magazine and he
told me to tell him exactly how I was going to use it use it which I did and
gave him two possible antennas I might use.  Never heard back and its been a
week!  I sent an e-mail to one listed in QST classifieds and its been three
days.

I sold antennas and accessories in the ham market and published a source
book (The Amateur Radio Mail Order Catalog) and these guys are making a big
mistake.  Hams want models and pricing even if they take months to make a
buy decision.   Hams go on to the next possibility if not readily available.
The market is too small to miss potential buyers!

73 Dave K4JRB