[Towertalk] Cable purchase source info requested

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cable purchase source info requested
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:22:38 -0500
Many installations are unique.  I had about a 600 ft run, and despite much
trying, I couldn't find any free CATV hardline.  I had to spring for some
LMR600DB.

Over the run, I had to cross a small stream, go up a hill, go through an
area that would've been VERY difficult to trench (trees/roots/fence, and go
through an area that was VERY rocky (4-8 inchers).

I ended up with all of the following:

1.  LMR600DB and 4 runs of big Romex for rotator and switch control  (I
don't even have a switch, but since I won't be pulling any new cables, tried
to think for the future as much as practical!)
2.  About 1/3 of the run is above ground along the base of a fence, rest in
trench, some with PVC.
3.  Through the rocky area, I used 2 inch PVC - no holes or stuffing, but
tried to make sure it was highest at one end.
4.  I used PVC to cross the stream, and put a support in the middle to
elevate the middle to let any moisture run back out toward ground where it
could drain.

It might not be perfect, but had to consider situation and be practical.
Going on 3 years now...  Thanks again to everyone who helped me here,
directly and indirectly!
John - WA9ALS - VP5RY

VP5 photos:  http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/vp5ryphotos.htm
     email:  wa9als@starband.net