[Towertalk] Burying RG-213 from the expert...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Burying RG-213 from the expert...
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:46:32 EDT
    From Press the Wireman, N8UG -

>> Ron, the claim that a legitimate RG213 is OK for direct burial is one of
the most common misconceptions in the business.
1. It is not so rated and never has been. It has a Class IIA
(non-contaminating) jacket which is good for 10-15 years ABOVE ground in
sun , or most any environment except in the earth. Many dealers in the
amateur community still spreads the direct buriable myth, sad to say.
2. Many of the RG213/U types on the market are not even Class IIA - -
Class I instead, good for 5 to 10 years, also above ground. Depends on
the dealer's honesty - generally speaking, if it's under 40 cents a foot,
it is not Class IIA. Belden 8267, for example, is often as high as 90
cents a foot
3. Truly buriable cable usually has a regular or high density
polyethylene(Class IIIA) jacket and a moisture block media in or with the
braid. More commercial cable also has an armor of sorts as well.
4. Another myth regarding "non-contaminating" jackets is that they are
best in any cable environment. In fact, a good Class IIA is reduced to
Class I when in close company with Class I cable.
5. One more myth is that any and all cable is safe underground in a pipe
or tube full of holes. You might as well run it in the pipe to the septic
tank - it would at least have no roots or critters!
All of this is pursuant to utilizing the cable one spends good money for
according to its designed use. If one doesn't mind getting half or less
of the designed life of the cable, or actually wants short life stuff,
then most anything is OK. There are dozens of good cables available for
the user's use, however unique.
Shop wisely, ask questions - get the right stuff for your project!
73,
Press Jones,  N8UG
The Wireman, Inc.
www.thewireman.com