[Towertalk] ABC Home Owners Assoc Expose

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] ABC Home Owners Assoc Expose
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:17:11 -0400
I'm with you Brian.  I am in Jacksonville and Naples is nearly a mirror image
only its a bit newer and overall, a "nicer" place to
live since the Gulf coast of Florida is absolutely gorgeous.  Unless you live
in an underdeveloped area, erecting any kind of
antenna will be difficult.  In my case, I presently have wire antennas in the
pine trees.  pine trees are a ham's best friend in
Florida...they may be the only antenna support you will have.  I also use a
Force12 Sigma vertical painted flat black.  It can be
seen from the front of the house, but you really have to look for it.  So far
so good with the neighbors and HOA.

Now, what is really exciting is that my back yard forms the perimiter of the
gated community.  The land directly behind me is
county-zoned property, not deed restricted, and will be subject to PRB-1.  I
have a letter of intent to proceed on a land contract
with the landowner for an easement to run with the land.  Once I get county
approval, the HOA cannot do a damn thing about it.
Fortunately, I did not waive my right to contract when I purchased the home.
Some HOA will get hip to that one some day.  Anyway,
the tower will be placed 20-feet behind my lot line with bury-rated LMR-400 run
between my house and the tower.

My point here is that it IS possible to live in a tightly controlled CC&R
community and operate big time radio, if you are wise in
choosing your property.

-Paul, W9AC