[Towertalk] Preventing Loose Rotor Bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Preventing Loose Rotor Bolts
From: jsbmjb@theriver.com (John Bodey)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:46:03 -0700
Previous comments in response to the loose rotor bolt problem lead me to
believe that one, or possibly two, thrust bearings would reduce the
stress on the rotor and bolts.  I've had zero experience with thrust
bearings so I'm asking:

1.  What thrust bearing brand is the most reliable in a high wind (i.e.
lots of movement and vibration) environment?

2.  If two thrust bearings are used, what is the minimum recommended
spacing between them?

3.  How difficult is it to align one or two bearings with the rotor?

4.  Do the comments about Loctite or safety wiring the bolts apply to
the thrust bearing bolts also?

73, John W7AG

multipart/alternative
  text/html