[Towertalk] re: Crank-up tower advice needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] re: Crank-up tower advice needed
From: k0myw@att.net (k0myw@att.net)
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 17:45:00 +0000
   When my U.S. Tower HDX-555 was delivered, I'd
arranged with a local towing service to have one of
their trucks with an extendable hydraulic boom be at my
house. In five minutes time (and for a measly $20 fee)
the tow truck driver plucked the tower out of the
tractor-trailer rig (using a sling) and neatly
deposited the tower at the edge of my driveway.
   I was fortunate to have pavement extending to within
a few feet of the concrete tower base. So a few days
later, when I was ready to erect the tower, I rented an
automotive engine hoist ($15), lifted the tower with it
and a tow strap, then single-handedly rolled it into
place and mated the tower to the base.
   Yes, I did spring for the tower-raising fixture. And
I actually have used a couple of times, although you
can't lower the tower to anywhere near horizontal once
antennas are atop. But anyway, standing the tower on
end that first time was a snap -- no help and no fee
required.
   That how we thrifty hillbillies operate here in the
Ozarks...

   73,
   Mike, KØMYW