[Towertalk] SUMMARY: Antenna Analyzer Suggestions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] SUMMARY: Antenna Analyzer Suggestions
From: smlx@earthlink.net (Nancy & Steve Lawrence)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 20:48:03 -0700
A few days ago I queried this reflector for comments and suggestions for
antenna analyzers. I've received many responses, both directly and to
TowerTalk in general. I thought that I'd provide a summary.

The Autek received the fewest comments. Their RF1 is small and its
portability is an advantage but it can be difficult to use. The VA1 is
better but the cost is comparable to the MFJ 259B. There were some comments
to the effect that Autek had an opportunity to improve their customer
service.

The AEA CIA-HF is by far the most sophisticated albeit pricey unit but with
a steep learning curve. This is apparently the choice of those who spend a
lot of time tweaking antennas and running computer analyses. It is also
more difficult to adjust - or perhaps learn - to use compared to the knob
turning interface of the MFJ.

The MFJ 259B received the vast majority of comments - all favorable. Easy
to use and does everything that both the semi-casual or serious user needs.
I expected some concern over MFJ's quality but such comments were lacking.
The MFJ 269 adds the 440 MHz band and improved resolution and was highly
recommended as an alternate.

A summary of an earlier thread that I was not aware of is available at:
http://qth.com/ka9fox/antenna-analyzers.html   (Tks K1VR)

Thanks to (in no particular order) :

Bob KQ2M
Mark AA6DX
Rog K9RB
Rush W4QA
Billy AA4NU
Art VE3PND
Don K5AQ
Pete N4ZR
Blake N4GI
Bob K3GT
Gary K3GB
Tom W8JI
Bill W4ZV
Fred K1VR
Mike W4EF
Chris VE7HCB
Frank 9Y4VU (I'll by you a MacDonald's as soon as I can!)
.................and anyone else I may have neglected to thank.

I'll continue to read the mail as the thread winds its way through paths
both technical and political.

Now , how much loss will there be if I run some coax from Los Angeles to
W8JI's antenna farm...............

Thanks to all!! - 73, Steve WB6RSE

(By the way, I'll likely get an MFJ 259B, may even the 269.)