[Towertalk] Lightning Protection by Ron Block in QST!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lightning Protection by Ron Block in QST!
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:21:16 -0400
Hi Gene,

In the early 1970's, I took a direct lightning hit in the middle of San
Jose in the Santa Clara Valley where lightning is a rare occurrence.

Among the many blow outs were an aluminum ground wire that blew apart, the
front end of my 75A4 and some of the PL259s on my beam. The RG8 coax
completely exited from the connector! The connector was and plug were an
ugly black, there were splatters on the wall and the coax end was black
with the shield wires missing. I'll have to go back and look again but I
think the center conductor did exit the connector.

73,

Joe, W1JR