[Towertalk] More on Lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] More on Lightning protection
From: N6ZO@aol.com (N6ZO@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 07:54:27 EDT
I have had occasion to visit the Naval Weapon station at Charleston SC.  This
is where the boomers tie up to load and unload missles.  There are two  250
foot towers erected and the sub ties up at a pier between them. Other naval
and commercial vessels tie up at these piers when the other berths are full.

As I remember it, there is a heavy wire running between the two towers. there
are no "spiked" objects or lightning rods on these towers that I remember.  I
was told that if there was a lightning strike in the area,  the navy WANTED
to be sure that any strike to be taken by the towers and not the sub.  Don't
know how often they are successful at taking lightning strikes but there are
no signs warning people away from the towers.

Wonder what else they did to those towers to ATTRACT lightning?

chet