[Towertalk] TX-455 Installation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] TX-455 Installation
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:29:13 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/02 6:59:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kbrockel@monmouth.com writes:

> I just purchased a new TX-455 tower from US Tower and wanted to hear from
>  other owners of this tower how the installation went. This will be my
>  first installation of this type of structure and just wanted to get some
>  feedback from other people who done this installation.

    Here's how you do it.

    Have UST ship you the base and anchor bolts right away.

    Get a backhoe to dig your base hole. While he's digging, build the rebar
cage. When he's done, he can pick up the rebar cage and drop it in the hole
(it'll weigh a couple of hundred pounds).

    Tie the anchor bolts to the rebar cage so that they'll be sticking up
above the top of the form enough to mount the tower/fixture. Put a nut on
each bolt - the fixture/base will sit on the nuts and these will let you
level it. The anchor rods don't have to be perfectly plumb since you'll have
levelling nuts under the base fixture.

    Pour concrete. A line-pump will deliver concrete up to 400 feet if you've
got a ways from the truck to the hole.

    Now you're ready for tower arrival. Arrange to have a backhoe or
boomtruck meet the tower delivery truck. You have to get it off the truck and
then you need to move it into place. With the backhoe you'll need the raising
fixture to get it vertical; the boomtruck can drop it vertically onto the
anchor bolts/fixture.

    Plumb the tower and tighten the base bolts. Use a non-shrink grout under
the fixture. Not only is it in the drawings but it also provides more
weight-bearing material under the base/fixture. The tower is designed to sit
on the rod nuts AND the grout. You probably have to go to a masonry supply
house to get the right stuff - the big box hardware stores don't necessarily
have it.

    Install antennas, etc. and have fun.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for commercial and amateurs