[Towertalk] Really dumb question on coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Really dumb question on coax
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 00:29:44 EDT
In a message dated 5/28/02 8:06:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time, swca@swbell.net
writes:

> If it were my station the answer would depend a LOT on if this was a 10
>  meter run or a 160 meter run - many people feel the UHF barrel connector
and
>  two PL259s are visible to the RF - more on 10M than 160M.  I know guys who
>  claim to have run tests on this and concluded the above.  I have never run
>  the test myself, but I believe it.  Loss numbers reported were in the 1-2
db
>  at 28 Mc range

    Jeez - they sure must've screwed up the installation of the PL259's.

    "Feel" and "claim" are not acceptable measurements. A couple of EE
undergrads (who happen to belong to TT occasionally) some years ago measured
connector loss in the WSU EE lab. Their comments are in the TT archives and
the resulting loss was in the hundredths of dB. Like Tom said, "connectors
can be considered lossless at HF."

    Thoughtful informative posts with some real information is encouraged.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for commercial and amateurs