[Towertalk] 9913(Hosepipe), weatherproofing and connectors.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 9913(Hosepipe), weatherproofing and connectors.
From: WW4T@aol.com (WW4T@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 19:21:18 EDT
  I think you will find that 9913 coax actually "inhales" water.....probably
through the jacket itself, and of course some egress is possible through
poorly weatherproofed connectors. The hollow core of the 9913 allows for the
air trapped inside during manufacturing and installation to contract and
expand with weather changes, and  with the nominal cooling and heating taking
place fom daytime to night time, and seasonal changes, its a neverending
process. This contraction and expansion apparently allows for minute amounts
of humid air to be sucked through the jacket, and condenses inside the hollow
core. The jacket is porous enough to allow for the vapor to come in, but over
time as the moisture accumulates, its impossible for the condensate to go
back the route it entered, and the amount continues to grow with each heating
and cooling cycle........its notorious down here in the ultra humid Southern
United States. This is why you see high priced "hardline" that is pressurized
with nitrogen in hollowcore, high power applications. Even "dryers" are
employed on occasion. Of course, foamfilled hardlines dont have that problem.

  73  Bob   ww4t@aol.com