[Towertalk] Re: Coax Connector Losses - Does anyone know?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Coax Connector Losses - Does anyone know?
From: ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com (Ronald KA4INM Youvan)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 23:57:52 -0400
> Losses for a PL-259/SO-239 combination were measured than 0.01 dB
> up to 50 MHz!  When properly installed and weatherproofed, these
> connectors are plenty good at HF.

  We haven't mentioned how we solder the shield through the four little

holes. (a friend told me he quit pulling the wires through the little

holes and soldering them to the barrel, he just twists them on and solders the
center pin, then uses them)
   Some folks may think UHF connectors are crap because they never met a gud
one.
   A heavy soldering gun like the GT-7 (with the 700 degree tip, or any of
several 200+ Watt Wellers) or a fine tipped torch, (experience needed to use
very quickly) are pretty much necessary to make a secure shield connection.
(sometimes pre tinning the shield is helpful)
   I solder through two holes for HF under 100 watts, all 4 for more power
or frequency.
   Many times I have overheard QSO's where an OM said: `all I did to clear
up my intermittent problem, was to make all new jumper cables'.
(in the shack)

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997   SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm