[Towertalk] Prop-Pitch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Prop-Pitch
From: n9en@voyager.net (N9EN@VOYAGER.NET)
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 07:18:56 -0500
Hello all;

For those needing a super-accurate direction indication
system for a prop-pitch motor (or any other kind of a
motor that they're using to turn an antenna system) I have
for sale a number of units that will do the job very nicely.

I installed one of these in my OLD HyGain commercial
RBX-5 rotator when I found out that the WWII surplus
400 cycle selsyn motors (with which the HyGain RBX-5
was originally equipped) wouldn't stay in calibration, due
to the fact that my rotator was 250' from my control box.

The unit that I am using is a NAMCO brand programmable
limit switch that has been set for position indication. I set
it to indicate a span from 0 to 359 (the degrees of the com-
pass) and it has a 3-digit red LED digital read-out that
indicates the degrees of the compass where my antenna
is aimed. The unit is VERY precise.

These NAMCO units were manufactured by one of the
more well-known companies that makes proximity
switches, photoeyes, etc. for industrial applications. The
NAMCO programmable limit switch system uses a small
resolver motor that is connected to the "control box" with
3-pair shielded cable. The factory recommends that cable
with individually-shielded pairs be used to keep the unit
from being affected by noise but I have used regular 3-pair
shielded cable with them and they work just fine with that.
I think the reason why the company recommends the 3-pair
individually shielded cable to be used is because normally,
these units are installed in an industrial environment where
there is a lot of electrical noise present.

Anyway, I have a number of these units for sale at $150
each. I was able to obtain them from a factory where I
had previously worked. They had been originally installed
on ABB robotic welding systems that travelled on a
gantry and were used to indicate the "7th axis position"
of the robot (the position along the gantry).

If anyone is interested in a very precise direction indication
system and would like to contact me in regards to pur-
chasing one of these, feel free to do so.

73 de Brad, N9EN @ Radio Free Roscoe (IL)...