[Towertalk] Raised Guy Stays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Raised Guy Stays
From: kr7x@attbi.com (Hank Lonberg)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:48:26 -0700
Joe:

I find it amazing that you can determine the soil bearing capacity at
the guy's site without any test or default basis.

Based on the worst case UBC soil lateral bearing and isolated post
capacity equation; using a 3' hole 4' deep filled with concrete and
casting in a Steel member that is 6' above ground I get a capacity of
about 1000 pounds horizontal and say 1000 pounds vertical which equates
to a total guy capacity, assuming 45 degrees, of about 1400 pounds. This
would be the safe total load on your eyeball system given no available
soils information. This value is base on table 18-I-A in the 1997
Uniform Building Code. Your mileage will vary depending on what code you
use.

It is quite possible that the total guy load on a 70 ' tower will exceed
this amount. Most likely if two or more guys are attached to the
elevated guy post.

The weak link is not the steel member but the soil's ability to
withstand the load you are hoping it will resist.

Hank Lonberg, S.E.,P.E.
KR7X