[Towertalk] Re: Lost my tower Tuesday

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Lost my tower Tuesday
From: wilder@abs.net (Martha & Dick Wilder)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:11:05 -0400 (EDT)
My  recommendation is to epoxy in a pier pin and use a Rohn
BPC25G base plate.  If that had been done on the prior installation,
you would now just clean away the mess and be ready to go.

Then there is the question would your tower still been standing
if you had used a pier pin that would have allowed the base to
adjust somewhat to the uneven wind torques on the tower?  (Probably
not, but one wonders.)

Though I must caution you that those who know more about towers
than I, reject the idea of using a pier pin!  Isn't it nice one
has choices?  <grin>

73, Dick Wilder, K3DI
       Dick's lifetime address is k3di@arrl.net

PORTIONS OF REFERENCE MESSAGES:

From: "Mike Rhodes W8DN" <weightdn@adelphia.net>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lost My Tower Tuesday
. . .I suspect that sawing the remnants off at concrete level,
plugging the holes, and installing a mounting plate is going to be a lot
less painful than trying to jackhammer a yard of lazy aged concrete into
manageable sized chunks. I notice that Rohn offers a Pier Pin mount and also
a mounting plate with 4 mounting holes and stubs for the first section to
mount to.  ...

From: K7LXC@aol.com
...  Ugh - don't get the pier pin; there's nothing holding up the tower;
you have to temporary guy it in order to install the tower. Better to
drill some holes and have a secure base plate. ...