[Towertalk] 40 meters (Wire Beam)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 40 meters (Wire Beam)
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:00:10 -0600
The 2L40 Wire Beam I use on Field Day is designed for good gain
and low F/B.

Maximum Gain occurs with 0.15 WL spacing for a reflector which
comes to 20 ft for 40M.  The reflector length is 70 ft and is also
installed as an inverted vee on a rope boom between two 50 ft
lamp posts.  I pull the ends out as far as possible (about 200 ft
each side) using very light nylon cord.  This yields a 150 degree
apex angle which comes very close to the performance of level
elements.  Higher would be better, but I have been very pleased
and surprised at how well this antenna performs for us with only
100 W.

I feed it with an even multiple of 1/2 WL of RG59 (since I have plenty)
and use the internal antenna tuner in our radio to tune out the 2.5:1
SWR.    Inserting a 1/4 WL matching section of 50 ohm line followed by
any length
of 75 ohm line would probably result in a better SWR on 40M but a higher
SWR on 15M.

Tom  N4KG