[Towertalk] Re: [Towertalk]Grounds as good as it gets

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: [Towertalk]Grounds as good as it gets
From: bruceosterberg@msn.com (Bruce Osterberg)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:48:23 -0500
Well it looks as if there are about as many ideas about grounds as there are
about towers.  The QST articles are good as well as personal observations,
and practical applications that other people have used.  Ground the outer
shield, Put in Parallel paths to reduce resistance, and still disconnect
antennas.

Lets Talk about antennas now.  If an antenna such as the Bencher Skyhawk is
sitting on top of a tower, and is hooked up with its balum as described, and
we ground the shield at the antenna, does this screw up the Balum?  or is
current distribution still the same?  Same thing if we ground the Shield of
Coax at the tower Base, (hard to seal), and what about the jumper straps
that we must use if we have crank up towers?  What no jumper straps?  Food
for thought.

We can make a good Lightning ground, Station  Ground, and RF ground with
careful planning without breaking the bank.  Many of us are not contesters
that need 24/7 protection while we are operating.

But this discussion thread was wonderful, if not too long for the value it
added to the Hams in the midwest and south, were lightning is a common and
almost everyday experience.

N9BX Bruce

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>