[Towertalk] Statics 101

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Statics 101
From: wendell@wyly.org (Wendell Wyly W5FL)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:11:57 -0500
Statics 101: An object is at rest when the forces up equal the forces down.

Don't matter how many pulleys you use, unless you make a second attachment
to the tower you don't gain anything as the ground crew holds the rope (same
as tieing it to a ground) and the gin pole takes out twice the load since
there are two equal downward force vectors.  If the forces were not equal,
the load would be going up or down really fast.  The reason it looks good,
is that you must tie both the rope to the second pulley and the ground crew
to ground in which case the ground crew only has to pull half as hard (but
twice as far), but the gin pole gets no relief and you have to re-rig the
whole thing when the load is only half ways up, which is quite impossible!!!

This is one of those things that you will only try once if you don't think
about it or not at all if you do.