[Towertalk] A New Concept in Ham Maps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] A New Concept in Ham Maps
From: contesting@eircom.net (Tim Makins, EI8IC)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 18:05:26 +0100
People might be interested to see a new type of Ham Map, now available for
free on my website. It will be of use to all amateurs, whether HF or VHF
based.

The problem with ordinary web-based maps is that there is either too little
or too much information on the screen. I have just completed a map of
Europe, the first in a series of Overlay Maps, where YOU get to choose the
amount of information you have on display.

The following overlays are available:
Country Outlines, CQ Zones, ITU Zones, Time Zones, Grid Locators, Country
Names, Capital Cities, Prefixes, Flags.

You can chose which overlays are on display, the order they are displayed
in, and which one is on the top.
The map can be saved in the normal manner (File>Save As) for viewing
off-line, and it can be printed out with what ever overlays are active.

As the page is graphics-intensive (220kB) it takes approximately 30 seconds
to load with a 56kB modem, or 1 minute with a 28.2Kb modem. A pre-loader
page is provided as an entry point. The address is

http://www.qsl.net/ei8ic/grids/euro/preload.html

Or it can be accessed through the normal menu on my website.

IMPORTANT: THE MAP REQUIRES JAVASCRIPT TO BE ENABLED ON YOUR BROWSER.
IF YOU HAVE JAVASCRIPT TURNED OFF, IT WON'T WORK.

I welcome any comments or suggestions for other maps.

73s Tim EI8Ic
www.qsl.net/ei8ic/
HF and Budget Contesting Information Site.

More maps in this series will be added as time and resources allow. It takes
me about a week to make the map and its overlays. If you would like to
sponsor a map in this series, order a similar map of a particular area, or
need any other graphics processing or web-design ($80/page), please contact
me.