[Towertalk] Metal building grounded?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Metal building grounded?
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:49:58 -0500
My "shack" is a 40' x 56' metal building.  It's a workshop, hamshack, home
office structure.  My wife calls it the "Man Cave."

The tower is 35' from one corner, opposite the power service entrance.  I'm
building an entrance for about 7 feedlines, rotators, SteppIR lines, etc.
and need to know what to do with the metal exterior walls.

It's a stick frame structure (2" x 4") using wood roof trusses.  The whole
building stands on 2 courses of concrete block.  I am not aware of any
attempt to tie the roof panels together other than the screws holding it on.
I'm also thinking that the walls are not tied to the roof electrically,
except for the flashing at the corners (screws again).

Should this metal be tied to the station ground?  It must electrically look
like it's floating above ground since nobody (including me) appears to have
attempted to tie it to anything (electrically speaking).  I used to have a 4
BTV up there and tied the radials to the roof (what a mistake).  When it
rained, the noise coming from the radio was 10 over 9.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com